Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Day 305 – No opposable thumbs.

To make the kids laugh I sometimes talk in the voice of the cat and make stuff up that I think someone/something in her position might say.  About a week ago I joked in my cat voice, “I really would like to go outside.  Can one of you boys open the screen door for me?  I would do it myself, but I don’t have opposable thumbs.”  Yes, I go for the cheap laughs since I am usually the “not fun” parent of the two.  Once I explained to the boys what opposable thumbs were, they thought this was hilarious and followed the cat around throughout the day saying how sorry they felt for her because of her thumbs.  

The day we got back from Spring Break the darn cat opened the screen door herself.  I have no idea how or when she mastered this skill, but I know my opposable thumbs thing isn’t funny to them anymore.  Instead, when Lukie got scared tonight asking what would happen if a fox got in our house, Samson just said “that is not possible because a fox does not have opposable thumbs”.   This regressed into a further discussion about how Mommy was wrong because the darn cat can open the door.  So now not only am I not funny and don’t know anything about biology and physics, but we are all going to get eaten in the night by the neighborhood fox who will open the door with his non-opposable thumbs.  I give up.

No comments:

Post a Comment