I came home from my morning run to find Samson at the front
door. First words out of his mouth were,
“I would really like to go to the ceremony with you.” He was wearing my old CG uniform hat and the
USCGA t-shirt Doug got him. How could I
say “no”? I canceled the sitter and took
them with.
I initially got the sitter because I wanted to have time to
visit with some of my CG colleagues/classmates without kid interruptions. Fortunately, there was another wonderful
friend from the daycare in attendance and she offered to watch the kids while I
went and visited. It was nice to see
people, but most people I talked to were focused on the upcoming promotion board
and next transfer season. All understandably
very important things to them, but not so interesting to me. I on the other
hand, was focused on trampoline parks and swim tests. Important to me, but not so interesting to
them.
Funny thing is, before retirement I thought this “interest gap”
would be one of the things to bother me.
I thought I would feel not interesting and lose part of my identity. Instead found this gap not only didn’t bother
me, I am pretty comfortable with my professional/life decision to retire! (Although
some days I miss the full paycheck). Overall glad I didn’t keep the sitter
(this time)! And I like worrying about
swim tests and soccer camp more than transfers and promotions! It seems like a different kind of worry.
No comments:
Post a Comment