Friday, February 20, 2015

Day 263 – Polite greeting or hidden insult?

The job I used to be in people started calling me “ma’am” when I was in my early 20s because I was an officer.  This had nothing to do with my age, but continued for 24 some years, so I guess I got used to it. However, it has been 8.5 months since I was in that environment.  Well today I was walking Lukas to the local high school pool for swim lessons.  Two teenage girls and a boy coming back from lunch had just parked and were passing us on the sidewalk.  The girls passed by quietly talking to each other.  The boy made eye contact with me and very confidently said “excuse us ma’am”.  I felt like someone had punched me in the gut.  I know I don’t look 20s or even 30s anymore and I was walking with my 4 year old, but ouch.  I’m not going to be one of those creepy moms that makes the boys’ friends call me “Tanya”, but maybe we can do “Ms. Tanya”.  When did I become old enough for someone to so naturally call me ma’am and why do I feel like this sign of respect is somehow a hidden insult?

No comments:

Post a Comment