Monday, December 8, 2014
Day 189 – Military mode or mom mode?
Today
we were in the library when the nearby middle school let out. The library was instantly flooded with
kids. No problem. Lukie likes being around older kids. Then they started throwing around F bombs and
calling everything sh*t. Well I was
about to say something when one of the kids fell backwards in his chair sending
cheese crackers all over the floor. The
librarian quickly approached and very politely said “That is why food it not
allowed in here. Please pick up as much
as you can so that the younger kids don’t step on all of them.” One of the girls immediately jumped up and
started cleaning up (totally what rule following me would have done when I was
a kid). The boy who had fallen back in
the chair stood up and attempting to be cool in front of his friends said, “Not
my crackers. I’m not picking them up.” The librarian politely asked him again, “Please
help clean them up.” He repeated again,
“not my crackers,” and ignored her. Something
in my brain went “snap”. I got into
semi-scary mommy mode, stood up and said, “She is not asking you anymore, I am telling
you…pick up the crackers.” He obediently
started picking up crackers. I hope that
when my kids act like that and I’m not around some mom takes them aside and straightens
them out. I actually think I should have
used my “mommy voice” more in the military!
It was quite effective. (too bad
it doesn’t work as well on my kids)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment