Several months ago (like almost a year ago), I got a book
about communicating with your kids – How to Talk so Your Kids will Listen and
Listen so Your Kids Will Talk. Highly
recommended by girlfriends who are rather picky about self-help and child
development type books so I figured I would give it a try. Read the first
chapter and tried to apply some of the things it talked about. It did of course not solve all problems, but
it was like a little miracle. In the
book at the end of each chapter are exercises that couples are supposed to do
together, so I gave the book to Doug. Well,
six months later Doug had not read the book, so finally last night I asked him
if I could have it back to move on to chapter 2. I may have also applies a little guilt trip
about how he had not read the one little chapter I asked him to. Well, careful what you ask for. He read chapter one and is totally on board. Now when I speak harshly or start to get
upset with the kids too quickly I get “Try the book tactics, they really
work.” No kidding, that is why I asked
you to read it 6 months ago! Now I have
to reread the chapter it has been so long!
If we keep going at this speed we might have the book finished before
the kids are in college! At one point I
did wonder if the stuff in the book would work on Doug, but I don’t really need
him to talk anymore J.
No comments:
Post a Comment