Yesterday
I was in Goodwill shopping for an awesome 80s costume for an upcoming concert
when I heard a young lady scolding an 80+ year old working in the store. Apparently the older women had asked her to
pick something up off the floor and when she did not the older lady yelled at
her. Now of course nobody likes to be
yelled at, but the first thing the young customer said was, “Just because I’m Hispanic
doesn’t mean I’m stupid.” Wait a
minute. Back up. First, nobody said you were stupid. Second, nobody said anything about your
race/ethnicity. You got yelled at by an
old lady. She might always be always
grouchy, she might be having a crappy day, her job might suck, but she didn’t
say anything to you about being Hispanic.
If we are ever really going to embrace diversity, sometimes those of us
who are minorities need to remember that not everything that happens to us is a
result of that minority status. Give
people the benefit of the doubt before we play the race/gender/ethnicity
card. Maybe you didn’t get that job
because you were not the most qualified.
Maybe that person didn’t greet you with enthusiasm because they are
tired. I know giving the benefit of the
doubt is sometimes hard based on our past experiences, but if we really want
things to change, we need to be willing to believe they can and are changing.
No comments:
Post a Comment