Sunday, September 7, 2014
Day 98 – Cats, no cats, cats, no cats.
After
Melba died last Dec, Doug and I agreed that when we got another cat we would
get two kittens to allow the boys to each have one of their own. My understanding is that we would wait until
Winter so the boys would be somewhat trapped inside to spend time with the
cats. Doug of course could not wait and
when I came home the other day both boys were sitting on his lap at the
computer and I was greeted with “Mommy, come see the kittens Fuji and
Everest. They are so cute and are
available at the Arlington animal shelter.”
Thanks Doug. So knowing when I am
beat and don’t have the energy to “fight” something Doug obviously is going to
keep talking about until he wears me down, I agree for the family to go look at
the kittens. First thing I noticed when they let them out to meet us…kittens
are very small and very fragile. Second
thing I noticed, Lukie is not so small next to the kittens and although very
loving, not so aware of kittens fragility.
I asked if we could look at some older kittens (all of 4 months old),
but got protests from Doug. So we had
the boys pick out two and put in the adoption papers. Arlington County smartly then has a 24 hour
wait period (to probably check and make sure we don’t have a bad history with
animals). They also handed me a 4 page
document on how to kitten proof your
home. Crap, I thought we were
done with this kind of stuff and kitten proofing seems much harder than kid
proofing. Anyway, boys all excited. I hesitant and selfishly thinking about all the ways this is
going to complicate my life. I walk into
the house the next morning after my run to Doug looking very worried. He has slept on it and thinks we need to wait
at least a year on the kittens. He is
leaving for Ohio for two days and wants to tell the boys before he leaves. He tells boys. Boys seem OK.
Doug leaves. Samson cries for the
next two nights. I may just go to the
shelter myself and get the older kittens if they keep bugging me about it, but
at least for the time being, I don’t have to stay up all night kitten proofing
the house.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment