Monday, September 8, 2014

Day 99 – I am a slob.

I went to yet another pre-school orientation today.  Third this week for same school and mandatory for “new parents to the school” to attend.  I guess maybe dropping kids off for the last 4 years at full day childcare must have hardened me.  Lukie will go from 40+ hours a week in child care to a whole 9 hours a week of pre-school, so I’m pretty sure he is going to be OK, but that is not the focus of my observations today.  I noticed that ALL the other moms had either dressed up for this occasion or they just on a daily basis are making more of an effort to look put together than I am.  Then I went to the grocery and same thing.  All little cute sundresses, matching sandals, makeup and hair styled.  Then I read an article that talks about how moms can be intimidating if they seem like they have it all together perfectly, but can also have trouble making other mommy friends if they look like a truck just ran over them (ie don’t have it together at all).  I certainly hope I don’t look like that, but I certainly did not look like any of these moms today.  I could, but really I’m spending the day with a 4 year old, likely outside half the time in 90+ temps and likely inside cleaning or cooking the other half of the day, so why bother.  If I don’t change my ways will I find myself an outcast from the Arlington mom scene or am I just a slob at heart and don’t stand a chance at fitting in?  Some days I miss my uniform.  Even when it looked bad, people not in the military thought it looked good and I never had to think about what to wear! 

No comments:

Post a Comment