Doug and I sometimes feel that we are too uptight as parents and worry about things we shouldn't. Well tonight we were introduced to parents that make Doug and I look really mellow and chilled out.
The 2nd grade orientation for our elementary school included questions like: "Will textbooks still be used even with each child being issued an iPad?"; "How will you monitor what my child downloads and which apps they will be working with?"; "How much screen time with they actually have because we have strict limits in our house?"; "How are we supposed to know what is actually going on in class?"; and my personal favorite - "What type of negative effects will being exposed to so many pixels at a young age have on my child?"
Here would have been my responses: "No textbooks anymore, we are just going to let your kids learn everything by Google and Wikipedia. Isn't that how you answer most of the questions they ask you now anyway?"; "Do you monitor what you child downloads? I'm pretty sure they have been ordering stuff on your Amazon accounts since they were two."; "If your screen time home limits trump our county wide, award winning curriculum that happens to include an IT component that uses iPads, you are more than welcome to home school your children."; "If you want to know what is actually going on in class here is an interesting idea - sit down and talk with your children each day. If that doesn't work, I just gave you my phone number and e-mail address along with a weekly newsletter outlining what we are doing. Read it!"; and "I have no idea how pixels are going to effect your child, but I do know that if they don't use a computer or any other type of electronic device during their 12 years of public schooling, they will not be going to college and likely not be very marketable for a job."
Guess 2nd grade teacher should probably be taken off my list as possible second careers.
No comments:
Post a Comment