Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Day 336 - Its getting hot in here.

I do not feel it is my responsibility to physically dress my 5 and 7 year olds.  Rather I prefer to give them some basic guidance like "that looks really silly" or "everyone will make fun of you if you wear that".  Since I consider myself anything but a fashion expert (unless you consider t-shirts and Tevas high fashion of course), I do not actually give opinions or advice on how the boys dress.  It is one area I feel I can give them some freedom or control over their daily lives, but I do like to give strong suggestions when it comes to comfort and temperatures.  This seems only reasonable as I am the one who has unfettered access to TV and internet which provide a neverending (and about 1/2 the time actually correct) weather forcast.  So, when I tell Lukas that it is going to be 85 out and he needs to wear short sleeves and shorts, but he refuses and chooses to go to school in sweatpants and a long sleeved shirt, I feel my responsibilty as a parent has been fulfilled and some things just have to be learned the hard (and sweaty) way. Of course it got to 84 that day and of course based on our converstation Lukas refused to admit defeat and wore his sweaty little outfit all day on the playground and to the park, but he did not complain once (you have to admire that kind of stubbornness a little).  I did notice today he at least wore short sleeves.  Would it really hurt you so much to admit that Mommy was right?  Yes, apparently it would.

No comments:

Post a Comment