Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Day 157 – Parking for veterans?

Was pulling into my grocery store parking lot when I saw a new sign next to the handicapped parking.  Figured it was a new reserved space for expecting mothers or something like that. Ends up it is marked “Veteran Parking” with a little American flag on it.  Technically I can park in this stop.  By the government’s determination I am actually a disabled vet, but I can’t bring myself to park there.  It should be for like the guys who are missing a limb or those WWII and Vietnam vets that are still around, not some lady who did a desk job for most of her 24 years and is now dragging around her two kids.  I know it should not matter, but I just don’t feel entitled to a special parking spot and am actually a little embarrassed to park their.  Also imagine that I will get really dirty looks from people and the questioning “didn’t you see the sign” look because in their heads people picture a “vet” like I do.  On the other hand, maybe it is my “duty” to park in the spot and educate the general population on what a veteran can look like?  Principles aside, what it will really come down to is how crowded the grocery store is and how quickly I need to get in and out!  Lets see how long I make it without parking in the space.  Would also be interested to know how/if they would ever bother to verify veteran status for this new special parking.  Handicapped have special state/federally issued stickers, but I don’t have anything on my car except a silly Ohio State magnet and lots of dinosaur stickers.  I think I would actually enjoy the grocery store management asking for proof/id when/if I ever park there!

No comments:

Post a Comment