Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Day 171 – Book club stress.

I had to pick the next book to read for book club.  I never realized how much I hate the pressure (self-induced of course).  Last time I picked a book that only ½ of the people ended up reading and it really hurt my feelings (which is silly as most of the time only ½ the people read the book, but I take it personally because I ALWAYS read it).  Seriously, I have read some strange stuff that I never would have otherwise even considered picking up.  Book club ladies thought my last pick was too dark and in fairness it was dark enough to give me nightmares! Nothing like a post apocalyptic book about a man and his 6 year old son just attempting to survive in a world gone to crap.  

So this time I really wanted to pick something everyone would not only enjoy, but would make them think and give us some good stuff to discuss at the next book club. Every time I was about to hit go on the e-mail with the book title, another book would come to mind or I would spend another 40 minutes looking over the New York Times best seller list or Amazons Top 100 Books you should Read in your Life!  Then I worry about if anyone in the group has already read the book.  Finally I came to a conclusion, but as soon as I sent out the e-mail I had a little remorse wondering if I made a good pick.  

For work I used to be able to quickly make policy recommendations that had the potential to affect 40,000 people.  At home (with little to no training or experience as a parent) I regularly make decisions that have the potential to scar my children for the rest of their lives.  But when it comes to book club..oh no that is one that I will stew over for ridiculous amounts of time!

No comments:

Post a Comment